The Mövenpick Resort & Spa Tala Bay Aqaba has been certified with the “Green Key” certificate by the International and National Green Key Eco-Rating Programme, the Royal Marine Conservation Society of Jordan (JREDS) and the Aqaba Special Economic Zone Authority (ASEZA) with the presence of Mr. Jean-Gabriel Peres the President & CEO of Mövenpick Hotels & Resorts. Green Key is an eco-label for tourism facilities that aims to contribute to sustainable tourism by awarding positive and meaningful initiatives. The Green Key aims to further improve the practices and behaviours of tourism actors including enterprises, authorities, guest and local communities and to involve them in taking responsibility for their own environment.
“We are very proud having received this international and prestigious certification” says Hubert Klemenz, General Manager of the resort. “This certification will now also support our great efforts in meeting the criteria of Green Globe – The Premier Global Certification for Sustainability. Our resort is the first property among all the Mövenpick Hotels & Resorts around the world to register to the Green Globe” adds Klemenz.
As part of the resort’s commitment, ‘best’ practices in all areas of sustainable hotel operations has been applied such as water and energy conservation, and use, solid waste management and community outreach by:
• Implementing a recycling programme in cooperation with Entity Green Recycling and distributing additional waste bins for the separation and collection of waste.
• Installing energy saving bulbs and led lights as well as motion detectors and dimming system.
• Putting into operation a key card system to control electricity in the rooms by turning off the electricity supply once the guest leaves the room.
• Using the drip irrigation method and irrigating before sunrise or after sunset to avoid water loss due to evaporation.
• Using environmentally friendly and ISO 22000 certified cleaning chemicals.
• Biodegradable bathroom amenities are being used, and locally produced.
• Installation of water saving devices, for basin, mixers and showers throughout the resort.
Introducing the Green Key programme at Mövenpick Resort & Spa Tala Bay Aqaba is another positive step for the resort to support sustainable development and environmental efforts in the region.