In spite of the impending Marriott-Stwarwood merger, Hilton Hotels is still one of the behemoths of the hotel industry and remains one of the most well-known hospitality companies in the world. In light of 2016 marking their presence in 100 countries and territories, we have found five things you might not know about the company…
- In 2015, Hilton signed over 100,000 new rooms for development, creating a global pipeline of 275,000 hotel rooms. Half this number are currently under construction, and represent almost 20% of the total hotel rooms under construction globally.
- Around the world, Hilton manages 3,843 hotels with 596,765 rooms. That’s up some 39% since the company last reported earnings publicly in June 2007. It owns 4% of the hotels in its system.
- Hilton’s loyalty scheme, Hilton HHonors, added six million new members in 2015. This is the brand’s highest number of enrollments ever in a single year. The number now accounts for 50 million members, who represent 52% of the occupancy for the company.
- Hampton by Hilton is expected to open an additional 400 hotels in the next few years, including the first KSA property, due to open in 2018. Hampton by Hilton also passed its 200,000th room milestone in 2015 and now has a pipeline of more than 50,000 rooms.
- Way back in 1971, a young John Lennon was lounging in one of the company’s hotels when he decided to do some brainstorming. He ended up writing the word “Imagine” on a piece of the hotel’s stationary.